Eating healthy on Halloween can be tough. It’s hard not to buy those big bags of candy bars at the store filled with Caramilk, Twix, Kit Kat, all the good ones! One of my favorite treats on Halloween are rice krispy squares. They are so moist and crunchy at the same time! But, marshmallows and a ton of sugar don’t help your waistline at all.
So, instead of loading up on tons of sugar and calories, I’ve got a great recipe for you. It’ll satisfy your sweet tooth, it combines chocolate and peanut butter (you can’t beat that) and you won’t feel like you are denying yourself any treats on the most treat-filled day of the year! Everyone loves rice krispies, they are easy to make, and these ones can be homemade with healthy, organic ingredients and NO marshmallows! What! How does that happen? Oh it does, and its still incredibly satisfying and delicious. So, without further adieu here is my Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats!
- 3 cups puffed rice cereal
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup rice malt syrup (honey or agave will also work, but will lend a different flavor)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 250g milk, semisweet or dark chocolate (your choice, or a mix!), chopped
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- Grease and line an 8×8-inch baking tin.
- Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside. In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter, salt, rice malt syrup and vanilla. Heat gently and stir until thoroughly combined and melted.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir until all the cereal is coated.
- Transfer the peanut butter cereal to the prepared tin and spread out evenly. Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the cereal and use another pan, or your hands, to flatten the top.
- Place the tin in the refrigerator to set for around 30 minutes.
- Near the end of the 30 minutes, place the chopped chocolate and 1tbsp peanut butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water (water should be about 1-inch high and the bowl should not touch the water), ensuring no water comes in contact with the chocolate mixture. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth.
- Take the peanut butter cereal from the refrigerator, pour the melted chocolate on top and smooth the surface. Return to the refrigerator for another 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Cut into squares with a sharp knife, cleaning the knife after each cut.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator; let them warm up to room temperature to soften up the chocolate before serving, if desired.