With October over and the holidays around the corner I would not be surprised if we have all been a little over indulgent in the last little while. The Halloween candy is slowly dwindling and the red wine is out in full force. Even the champagne is making its appearance around the house; ready for the the holiday season. On top of this, as the cold weather looms maybe getting to the gym, coming home and eating a salad isn’t as appealing as the couch and some pizza.
I decided to share this recipe for Broccoli detox soup. I know broccoli is probably the opposite of an ooey gooey cheese pizza, but it is packed with nutrients, fibre, and is super liver loving. This soup is not only packed with potassium for creating an alkaline environment, which helps flush out the toxins from our cells, but also packed with fiber, which is soluble for stimulating the bile secretion and insoluble for promoting bowel movement and the elimination of toxins. The soup actually tastes delicious, and will make you feel amazing. So, even if you must have that glass of wine, this will at least help to flush out some of the water and toxins and create a more alkaline environment in your body.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup greens (kale, spinach, beet greens or any other available)
- 1 parsnip, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups filtered water or low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Toasted mixed seeds and nuts, 1 teaspoon coconut milk, to garnish
- In a soup pot, heat the coconut oil, add the onion, garlic, carrot, parsnip, celery sticks and broccoli, and cook over low heat for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the filtered water or vegetable broth, bring to a boil, then cover the pot with a lid and let simmer for 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Stir in the greens, then transfer into the blender, add the chia seeds and lemon, and process to obtain a smooth cream.
- Top with toasted seeds and serve warm.